As of April 11th 2022, I officially finished my first SMT game! I started this page as a fun project since finding new demons made me remember my excitement when I was little and touched a pokemon game for the first time.
Sadly, I didn't like the game much...! But the demon review page will still update (very slowly) since I love criticing stuff :'p
Here are my general thoughts of the game and how I felt during different parts of the game. Most of this text is taken from my now-inactive Tumblr, written during the game's staff roll (that's why it isn't written the best... but also, are any of my pages written formally?)
I don't think I need to say it, but this section is full of spoilers!
*I just played one route. I need to check if the others are better, so this ratting will most likely change.
Time played: 61:54 hours
Final level: Lv.70
Final party: MC, Pallas Athenea, Erikoning, Orochi
> Impressions during the game
> Screenshot gallery
- LOVED the demon befriend mechanic, I think that was my fav thing of the game.
- The main group were so fun (isabeau n jonathan are my besties now), sadly the game has a total of like 10 minutes of text, so they barely shine.
- Because that lack of text, I couldnt fully get on the story. It was cool at 1st, but as it progressed I started to lose interest.
- I think most rpg barely got text, but im too used to vn & vn-esque games...
- The 2 options you had to pick from were too extremist & a genocide. I was agaisnt both of them, so playing wasnt comfortable, specially since they assumed I was ok with what I picked
- I also expected the ending to address this, how both of them were bad.. But instead I got a 'and everyone lived happily <3'
- So... yeah I got no idea if I liked this. I wish I could have just watched a playthru and spent those 60 hours on something better.
- But yeah the strengths for me are demon contact & the main group.
- I wont drop mainline smt because this game tho, I want to give it another chance...! but I think I wil watch playthrus instead of playing myself.
- Isabeau's battle theme... 💛
Impressions during the playthru:
- My 1st impression of the game was.... bad lol. I picked the game completely blind (just downloaded the 1st smt game i saw), and the whole medieval & samurai setting turned me off, i dont like them
- But well, dont judge a book by its cover! (the box cover of this game is real cool btw). The main characters seemed fun and i liked them already.
- During the 1st time I explored naraku I died and found the revival system super funny, a god who asks for money because heaven is too crowded already lmao
- I continued playing and I was glad I gave it a chance. As I said the main characters are great and I loved their interactions. The forest fire arc was nice too, I was very intrigued by the story.
~ On tokyo ~
- Oops, another turn off! I hate post apocalyptic settings often too, specially is they’re as dull and colorless like this one.
- At this point I lost a bit of interest, the characters barely spoke (I'm used to text-heavy games) and couldn’t fully get into the story, but I was very curious about who the... i forgot her name, the evil book woman was.
- I liked some things in tokyo. The way you could find scrunchies on corpses, the MC trying to explain our daily items, the new battle theme...
- I kept getting lost tho @.@
- Aand I found the evil book woman!! And as I suspected, she isnt evil, most likely what turned people into demons were reds and not books
~ Kill evil book woman quest ~
- I had no idea of what was happening, but good for her, glad her execution didnt kill her.
- I was very mad at the church btw ugly ass men stop telling me what to do 🙄 im not helping your organized religion
- But I had to do so anyways 😞 The game is pretty rigged towards law now that im checking, you get a ton of law points by doing things the game forces onto you.
- The whole quest was pretty boring for what I have said before (no dialogue + setting i dislike), I pretty much lost my interest on the game here.
- .........meow <- jonathan
- Before even knowing who evil book woman was, I decided to keep her alive because I didnt thought she was evil.
~ Law / Evil ~
~ End game ~
- I picked Walter (chaos) even though Im against both sides since theyre a genocide. But I thought evil book woman was a tiny lil better than human farmer guy
- Camp... ichiaya? was pretty cool! But it could’ve been utilized way better. This was on the destroyed tokyo iirc, but I loved the part were the demons disinfect you in order to eat you. The vibes were so ominous, I wish they had included a scene were
they try to actually kill you.
- I dont remember much of this part lol as I said i lost interest..... I will hop already on the destroyed tokyo part
- I liked the desert & flame tokyo actually! I wish nothing but the best for these little pixels. It was heartwarming how they still had hope & wanted to make the world a bit better. I specially liked monster akira on burning tokyo.
- This game keeps being mean & punishing me for stuff I dont eve agree with :__3
- When the white asked once again if law/chaos, I picked chaos again but they decided I was a god's little lamb and that I couldnt change the world.
- Then they insulted me & kicked me onto a void.
- This map was kinda confusing. I love how they changed the sprite of your bestie that you had to kill at the start of tbe game & made him cry now, that hit me on the heart
- After that, jonathan sacrifices himself & fuses with the angels o<-<
- Then the angel tells me that they were gonna kill everyone on tokio... Once I arrive here, Isabeau was waiting in front of the camp.
- As always, shes the only one with braincells and opposes to the tokio genocide. The game forces me to battle her. She ends up cutting her own throat. Im not ok.
- We arrive at luci's castles. Theyre pretty cool, I enjoyed playing thru them! I had no idea of what was I doing, but somehow solved the door puzzles.
- Lucifer is destroyed and the angel makes.. abadon? swallow tokyo on its entirety, including us. Mikado is reformed, they make the MC a statue & end.
- I wanted none of this :_3
Sadly, I deleted the tumblr I posted most liveblogs on, so I lost most of the pics... But I still got a few from twitter and my other tumblr.
My all-girl team! This was my team for a good chunk of the game too.
I barely used this mouse, but it was cute. The beads were very useful too, thanks you baby.
Sorry for dissapoint yall....
They blasted my girl away and got lost, but when I found her back she gave me a gift!! So nice of her... I hope she had fun wherever she went
Nekomata keept stealing all my money & items and then runs away.
When I dont talk to her she uses an attack that halves my macca.
After so many tries she joined me, but only after killing 2 of my demons and asking for money again.
Why is she like this....
This happens right after we found out they're farming humans and harvesting their brains btw
The little messages the info boxes give you are one of my fav things on this game... of course my girls are doing their best, I love them! The ones you get when you're idie are great too, they're like
INFO! I'm sleepy.
She tried to spoil Isabeau the manga she was reading... how dare she..... I'm 95% sure everything goes wrong on this game because they didn't let Isa finish her little silly rose of versailles.
The world without Isabeau part 1 & part 2. Made these when I was playing thru the destroyed tokyo chapters.... I missed her so much.
This was the part where you final saying on which route you want it. They didn't let me pick the one I wanted tho. Then they wished death upon me. Ok.
Ah, this part... I was trapped on this forest for 4 hours and had to make a map. Turns out there was a wrap in the south part of D I didnt see which sent you to the circled part (where I needed to go).
The map isnt that complex, but since I had no idea of that wrap I kept walking on circles and was getting mad lol
hallucinating my girl rn :) shes trying to kill me
I think it's a bit hard to see in the pic, but they changed his sprite so he's crying now T-T
At the start of the game, I thought they could exorcise the demon out of him since there was a church lol but walter scolded me and I had to kill him.... he was the MC's bestie before the events of the game.
And the final pic I took of my playthru... sniff sniff
If it weren't because this happens right at the very end of the game, I would've rage quit it....