Table of contents
Why I like this ship
They complement each other very well and help the other grow. They both have struggles understanding humanity, relationships, life, death.. .Makoto due to his apathy towards life (thanks to the accident he was involved when he was little) and Aigis due the fact that she’s a robot, her heart was still developing, the few human interaction she had was erased from her memory (on Aigis the First Mission) so she had to start completely from scratch, not understanding anything about the world.
~Part under construction, will be more text between these paragraphs~Another thing I like about them is that Aigis' development doesn't follow the typical ''robot becomes human because it fell in love'' trope. She falls in love because she is human, not 'she's human because she fell in love'. Aigis is who she is thanks to the love and friendship everyone gave her.
What made Aigis fully awaken her emotions was not only romantic love, but the support she received from SEES, pretty much her found family. And even though at the end of the game she said her reason to live was to protect Makoto, she didn't limit it to him alone after and made her mission to protect everyone important to her. Yes, she talks lots about him because of the huge impact he had on her life, but she is still attentive and cares about people other than him.
Same with Makoto, he and Aigis are each other's most important person, they helped each other grow and wouldn't be the same person if they hadn't met, but the game doesn't restrict them to that bubble and show that all the friendships and connections Makoto made during his life are equality as important. Despite how close (and sappy at times, shown in the CD dramas), it's refreshing that not once do they try to show that romance is the most important kind of love; and that they got lives outside each other, that's how healthy relationships work.
As a final note, in all the games where you play as Makoto you can’t be mean to Aigis. Usually when the game let the player pick an action/line during a conversation the options are: -”Yes/a nice option” “No” “Don’t care/a rude option”-, but with Aigis all the conversation options are positive, even on the spin-offs. While the MC is supposed to represent the player and be a blank state, the inputs give you hints of their personality (just look at how different Kotone’s/FeMC choices during the game are), and I found interesting that Aigis is the only character who is treated like this, with no negative opinions or thoughts, which shows how kind and accepting the MC is towards her.
All the player (Makoto’s) inputs towards Aigis are positive. And even without the player’s input, Aigis is one of the few characters Makoto reacts to closely outside social links (like holding her hand during the moonlight bridge scene)
- The only time we see Makoto laughing in all the 4 movies is thanks to Aigis. Most of the few times he smiled was because Aigis too.
- Makoto is the only one in SEES who recognizes Aigis’ handwriting [CD drama]
- Aigis and Makoto are the only ones who understand each other’s humour [PQ2]
- In the game's code, Aigis is listed as 'lover'. If you go to Tartarus alone with her she will say a special line: "When I'm with you [MC]-san, I feel in pain. Is this what it feels to have your heart pound?" [Persona 3, FES, Portable]
- She's the only one in the team who is fine with wearing the maid costume. Also her opinion of it changes after she starts to become more human. At first she likes it because it's easy to move while wearing it, but after November she appreciates it because it made her happy that Makoto wants to see her wearing it (possibly already aware of the dress' connotations) [Persona 3, FES, Portable]
- While she didn’t think of it much before, as she became more human Aigis started to take her tech checkups a bit more intimately, disliking being revised by people other than a very small circle. If the checkup was for something more serious, Makoto would stay beside her during it.
- After aigis confesses her feelings on the rank 9 Social Link, Makoto grabs her when she tries to run away & after some talking he ends up being the lap pillow of a very flustered aigis So in march 5th aigis is returning to makoto their 1st official romantic interaction
- Aigis’ staring at Makoto during the night was kinda uncomfortable at times, but I think Makoto got used to it after awhile and even found it comforting; having someone making sure you’re feeling well. Near the winter she would even lay on the bed with him, since their relationship was advancing (and maybe Makoto used the cold temperatures as an excuse.. you wouldn’t your joints to get frozen, right? Not something that realistically could happen to Aigis inside the dorms, but hey it worked). Before that she would simply sit next to him on the bed.
- Sometimes Makoto and Aigis do homework together too. He added a new small table on this room next to his in a L shape and they do their school work here.
- A headcanon that does not make much sense but I like to think about is that often Makoto ended up staying the night over Aigis’ room. They bought a new bed and put it next to Aigis’ chair, with the head of the bed facing Aigis’ chair so they could still look/talk at each other when she was over here for maintenance.That small square was separated with a curtain and Makoto brought a few spare clothes and other daily utilities here, She didn’t remodel her room, but slowly they would buy furniture for it and decorate a bit (mostly with pics or small things Aigis liked)
- After Makoto’s death, aside from his evoker Aigis kept his mp3 and headphones too.